Wednesday, October 1, 2008

And winner of the worst movie ever goes to...

While I was in New York, I took some time out of the job hunting schedule to watch a movie. What followed I cannot quite explain. I must've been in a trance as it's the only way I could've possibly sat through the most confusing, directionless movie I'd never heard of. I kept hitting the info guide button for a plot synopsis and hoping to make sense of it all. But sense was never found. Though I did somehow find the determination to sit through The Learning Tree's entirety like doing so was a test of my fortitude.



Unfortunately I received nothing for my fortitude besides a numb ass and the need to do something with my life that didn't involve a TV.



Upon further research, I find the Learning Tree is a Gordon Parks classic (he's best known as the director of Shaft)

Here's the IMDB synopsis:
The story, set in Kansas during the 1920's, covers less than a year in the life of a black teenager, and documents the veritable deluge of events which force him into sudden manhood. The family relationships and enmities, the fears, frustrations and ambitions of the black teenager in small-town America are explored with a strong statement about human values. Gordon Parks directed, wrote, produced and composed the music score for the film, which is based on his autobiographical novel.

Quite a bold statement. I can only agree, that yes, it was quite the "deluge of events", considering every time the plot changed course and I once again saw a glimmer of hope in a story line -- it quickly faded into another dead end. Frustrations, fears, and ambitions for more belonged to both the main character and me, the viewer. But 'strong statement about human values'? ....

I would've had more luck finding those had I just stared out my Chelsea apartment window at the homeless guy with his hand down his pants.

No comments: